This post isn’t as difficult as I might have expected – probably because I just finished my ‘About’ page last week. The short answer is, “I’m complicated and I’m not entirely sure why I’m here”, but I suppose I can do better than that. Especially if there are bullet points. I like bullet points. I can work with bullet points.
- I do keep a personal journal and the biggest difference between it and my blog content is the rating each would receive if MPAA were to assign one: this blog is intended for PG-13 audiences…and my personal journal is not fit for human consumption! My journal is deeply personal and a private place where it is safe to express any thought, wish, desire or feeling. There is no limit on the number of F-bombs dropped.
- Topics…I’m thinking I will write about a very wide variety of topics. At this point, the idea is to write about whatever grabs me. People, relationships, life lessons, parenting, wisdom, ADHD, stuff that bugs me, my stupid dog, things that are going on in my life…you name it. I can see how it might be difficult to promote a “blog about everything” or a “blog about nothing”, but at this point, that’s exactly what this blog is and I’m avoiding promoting it, quite on purpose.
- Who would I love to connect with on my blog? That’s a good damn question. To date, I still don’t have a good damn answer. I think at least part of the reason why I struggle with this is because the concept of “readers” or “followers” seems so remote and ambiguous to me.
- Blog successfully for a year? Are you kidding me? I have ADHD…I’m lucky to be able to get through a week at a time.
Today’s assignment: write and publish a “who I am and why I’m here” post on your blog.
- Why are you blogging publicly, rather than keeping a personal journal?
- What topics do you think you’ll write about?
- Who would you love to connect with via your blog?
- If you blog successfully throughout the next year, what would you hope to have accomplished?
- It gives new readers context. What are you about? Why should they read your blog?
- It helps you focus your ideas about your blog and what you’d like to do with it.